Category Archives: Fixing things

I am a big fan of the WP Mendeley and I have been using it for quite a long time. I use Mendeley to maintain my bibliography anyway, so having an automatic way to display various sets of publications in WordPress is a bonus. One of the features that I missed is the option to display the abstract of papers. This is not available out of the box, but it’s not too difficult to achieve. Here are the steps that I had to take in order to allow visitors to display the abstracts of my papers.

Read more

When my university decided to discontinue the support for personal webpages (i.e. literally pull the plug from the server hosting them), I was left with a dilemma. I had a pretty static HTML page that was hosted there and a rather standard (and largely abandoned) WordPress installation. Because I liked the structure of my HTML page, I decided to create a theme based on it and restart using my WordPress blog. What you read now, is the result of this conversion. Depending on when you read this post, there may still be some rough patches. In this post, I will show how you can develop a theme for WordPress using Varying Vagrant Vagrants and synchornise it using Dropbox.

Read more

The other day I wanted to format the text in a post using a definition list-like structure. Basically I wanted something like this:

Read more

Update: One day after I wrote this post, version 2.8.36 was released to fix this problem. It seem that other versions of Symfony were also affected. If you are interested in this problem, read on. If you are affected by it, you should upgrade, not use the fix from here.

Last night I implemented a few improvements in the Metadiscourse annotator which I am developing in my spare time. (I rewrote several functions that cut the running time of two actions from minutes to seconds … but that’s for a different post, maybe …). I tested the new code on my development computer and everything seemed perfect, so I deployed the new version. Just before sending an email to the people who use this program, I noticed that a particular functionality that relied on AJAX requests no longer worked. This was completely unrelated to the changes I made. Initially, I thought it is because I restricted the HTTP method to GET, whilst the request was done using POST. I fixed that, but it was still not working. After spending a bit of time, I realised that none of the AJAX requests worked anymore. This was at 1am, how else 🙂

Read more

I analyse my Symfony applications using SensioLabsInsight. The reports I receive are not always useful, but many point to various problems that should be considered. SensioLabInsight integrates with GitHub so you can get an analysis with each commit without doing anything. That’s definitely a nice feature. One of the errors I had from the beginning was a critical error “Dependencies not installable”. The problem is caused by a “Connection refused” error that had not much to do with my code.

Read more

5/5